Diabetes mellitus— Control It Before it is too late
Diabetes mellitus— Control It Before it is too late!
Gone are those days when diseases like diabetes were considered to be old aged.
In today’s fast evolving world, even a child is born with a form of diabetes called juvenile diabetes which is not only challenging to cure but is also difficult to cope.
It is a disease which has been very common all over the world affecting humans of various age groups.
The principal cause for this disease is the inability of the pancreatic cells to secrete a hormone called insulin which maintains the blood sugar level.
Also Read : Diabetes And Its Precautions
Due to the hyposecretion of insulin, the patient is administered with several oral doses of medications to maintain blood sugar levels.
Lots of time— the human insulin— genetically produced in the form of “Humulin” is also injected into the patient’s body intramuscularly when the drugs are not competent to combat the sugar levels.
Seeing the ill effects of the disease along with the probability of genetic inheritance from the family pedigree, an individual can think and take specific measures to prevent the disease and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
The amalgamation of such precautions and improvement in the day to day lifestyle can secure life from the malady.
A few of these healthy steps can be taken by all the individuals to improve their routines as there is a famous saying “Precaution is better than cure.”
- A healthy diet plan should contain a lesser percentage of carbohydrates, more fibers, and foods with a less glycemic index such as Oatmeal, muesli, corn, beans, peas, legumes, lentils, etc.
- Diet should include more of green leafy vegetables and proteins containing food sources.
- Eliminating the fortified fruit juices, energy drinks, and sports drinks.
- Avoidance of sedentary work and continuous check on fitness by regular 30 min brisk walk daily.
- Optimum weight according to the Body mass index should be maintained.
- Add a few special things in your daily routine such as drinking overnight soaked fenugreek water every morning with an empty stomach.
- Yoga and meditation should be done for 15 mins every day to keep oneself stress-free.
- Proper radiation free sleep should be taken for 7-8 hours, wherein the mobile phones are kept outside the bedroom.
- Regular body checkups majorly blood and urine parameters should be done twice a year.
- Any form of abuse such as alcohol or tobacco should be wholly eliminated to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Proper SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunity, and threat) analysis on oneself should be done to work more productively and live a stress-free life.
- Proper vitamin D levels should be maintained to reduce the risk of diabetes. Good source of sunlight between morning 7-9 am, and evening 4-6 pm free from harmful ultraviolet radiations can serve the purpose fruitfully.
- Addition of several herbs in diet can act as a benefit for the individuals to prevent diabetes such as
- Cinnamon- It controls the glycemic index and lipid profile.
- Cloves- being rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanin and quercetin it helps to protect the body from free radicals.
- Oregano- Being a significant cuisine in Spanish and Italian dishes it has been proven to reduce oxidative stress in the body.
- Garlic- Being a major component of Indian dishes it has proved to be an excellent lowering agent of total blood cholesterol and serum glucose levels.
- Ginger- It’s a spice again most popularly used in Indian cookeries to aid digestion used as an effective blood sugar level reducer.
- Turmeric- Being a blend of several anti-inflammatories, antibacterial, and antioxidant property (mainly used for making curries), it can also aid in reducing blood sugar.
Lastly, health and work should be balanced, and the pointers above should be taken care of so that an individual can live a better life before it’s too late. With the hope of following the little changes in our daily life, we can lead to a better life.